Tuesday, February 10, 2015

an attitude of gratitude*

In the beginning, God created… WORK! {genesis 2:15}
Which, in turn, provided Adam with purpose*

God decided it'd be GOOD for man to have something to keep his hands occupied and his mind challenged >> Yet, how many of us (myself included!) find ourselves complaining about work, stressing about work, or as victims of the "Sunday Night Blues?"

Even those of us who truly claim to enjoy most aspects of our job - even those of us who feel that we were MADE for the profession of which we're in - often get caught up in >> finding << something* to complain about! Why do we do this?!

Have you ever thought about how The Lord God "took the man" and "put him" (in the garden of Eden) to WORK "it" and KEEP "it?" Whether you love your job or not, perhaps God has taken YOU and put YOU to work "it" and keep "it" >> Whatever the "it," may be in your life, I challenge you to join me in approaching "it" and talking about "it" and thinking about "it" with an attitude of gratitude!

God gave us something to do, something to challenge us, something to help us feel and experience purpose* …because He believed it to be GOOD. Shouldn't we agree with The One who created and knows our every need? Shouldn't we trust that He's "taken" and "put" us right where He wants us to be?

Kind of funny, this verse is very well aligned with aim of occupational therapy [my profession], as one of its core foundations is the belief that to be healthy, man must do* So as a profession we would with patients, clients, and students to facilitate their building of skills to DO LiFE >> whether those skills are needed to boost their participation and performance within productive, restorative, or pleasurable occupations. See… I, of all people, should understand and believe in and be grateful* for the ~*blessing*~ of WORK. Not only did God create it, but my profession exists because of it!

I'm not sure why I join the chorus in allowing myself to be stressed by work and finding reasons to grumble and roll my eyes. I'm not sure if it's something within my human nature, if it's a subconscious desire to be in agreement with those around me, if it's because I'm a perfectionist and afraid of failure and stress myself out over wanting to be the best* at my job, if it's because of a painful cry of my heart to help my kiddos beyond my capacity, if it's because my husband's at home and I want to get home to him, if it's because I'm still new and feel overwhelmed with the amount I want to learn, if it's because I need to reconsider my evening and morning routines, …or perhaps it's a mix of it all!

I DO know that my day-to-day life at work has improved tremendously, ever since I started inviting God to join me and allowing Him to do OT with and through me… but perhaps something even simpler would jumpstart my day from the very beginning - - -

…Thanking Him, at the very sound of my alarm, for another day to work! Even better - - - going to bed on Sunday nights with a prayer of thanksgiving for the week that lies ahead ;-)

Long story, short: God created work… because He believed it to be GOOD.

Today's encouragement: Join me in approaching your work day >> your alarm clock, your morning routine, your commute, your co-workers, boss, customers / clients / patients / students, your to-do list, your JOB << with an attitude of gratitude*